Hi, I’m [wɪl mɛɹəl]. I’m originally from NYC, but I moved to Seattle in September, 2019. You can contact me at
If I wasn’t doing NLP, I’d probably be studying medieval history and dead languages, particularly Latin, Old Norse, and Old English. I’ve also dabbled in Middle Egyptian, and am considering studying Nahuatl. See some translations from these languages on my blog.
I’m a big proponent of the urban walk. Seattle seems to prefer hiking, which I’m also down with, especially to locations of historical interest.
Other facts about me:
- I am a definitively average cook, but (thanks to my grandma) I can make pierogi from scratch.
- I used to compete in table tennis. I also used to play baseball in high school.
Here’s some random stuff that I’ve written over the years, in no particular order.
- Origin of the Navajo code talkers
- Jórsalafari: the Norwegian Crusade as a viking expedition
- The history of Minecraft: how a Swedish indie game came to dominate the world
- Dante++: A chapter extending Inferno to the age of Big Data™ and AI
- Northern Origins: Chapter 1 of an epic that I started as a COVID-19 creative writing project
*There’s more writing on my blog.