Hi, I’m [wɪl mɛɹəl]. I’m originally from NYC, but I’ve been living in Seattle for about a year.
I like dead languages, particularly Latin, Old Norse, and Old English. I’ve also dabbled in Middle Egyptian, and am considering studying Nahuatl.
I’m a big proponent of the urban walk. People in Seattle seem to prefer hiking, which is fun too I guess?
I play pick-up basketball. I also play games like Dota 2 and Age of Empires II and have done some (amateur) game development. On a related note, check out my YouTube channel from when I was 15 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Other fun facts about me:
- I am a definitively average cook, but (thanks to my grandma) I can make pierogi.
- I used to compete in table tennis. I also used to play baseball.
Here’s some random stuff that I’ve written over the years, in no particular order.
- Origin of the Navajo code talkers
- Jórsalafari: the Norwegian Crusade as a viking expedition
- The history of Minecraft: how a Swedish indie game came to dominate the world
- Dante++: A chapter extending Inferno to the age of Big Data™ and AI
*There’s more writing (including several translations) on my blog.